Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Naming a Blog - An Instant Identity Crisis

Best Blogger Tips

I didn’t think I could start a blog unless I had something clever and unique to say.  So, I didn’t.  For years.  Until I finally realized that few internet users hold themselves to such a standard!  So while I still don’t necessarily have something profound to offer to the world, I figure there’s enough room out there in cyberspace for me to post a few thoughts, ideas, and stories every now and then.  Thus yet another blog is born. 

But what about the name?  This task is nothing short of paralyzing!  So much pressure to be cool, yet not look like you are trying to be cool.  To be sound smart, but in an effortless and non-pretentious way.  To be catchy, but not too kitschy.  Impossible really – at least for someone who isn’t particularly cool or effortless….ever.  So I’ll just be me and label it as such.  But I don’t just have to do my full, formal name.  I could go the nickname route.  That is, if I had a decent nickname.  In 2nd grade a boy named Ryan (a badass on the playground), used to call me Cando Commando.  I suppose this was in response to the fact that I didn’t kowtow to any recess recreation challenges and also tended to be among the tallest members of my class, towering over many of the boys.  The nickname was a bit of a badge of feminist honor I suppose but it doesn’t really give off a great, welcoming vibe nor do I encourage its use.  The endearing nicknames my parents have used are simply off limits.  I’ve also always shrugged off (more like battled vehemently against) the shortened version of my first name.  I mean, what commando wants to be called Candi? 

Then there’s the issue of my middle name.  I’ve never disliked it.  But I’ve never really embraced it either.  I used to make a game of it in elementary school, not telling anyone what my middle name was.  Immediately everyone assumed it was the most horrendous R name ever (not sure what that would be).  Whenever my middle name was revealed it was received with noticeable disappointment.  “Oh.”  I think they were really hoping for some primo teasing fodder.   What great material they would have to work with if my name was Candice Rumpelstiltskin!  I am German; it’s a possibility?

Forgetting the sheer size of the world’s population, I figured Candice Rae was unique enough to be freely available for various usernames/social media accounts.  Yeah, no.  I was a bit deflated to realize just how many Candice Rae’s are potentially out there, same spelling and all.  But the idea of tacking on the first phonetic syllable of my last name to produce CandiceRaeLoo finally put an end to my blog-creation-induced pre-mid-life crisis.  CandiceRaeLoo.  I like it.  I hope you do too.  

1 comment:

  1. Been there done that ... 12 hours alone spent on the creation of one ETSY account. I had no idea that "identity" was so confounding. When I read CandiceRaeLoo - I drifted and thought of CindyLooWho ... I am sure that is an unintended consequence because you are a doctor, thus you have a clue, and know who!

    ReplyDelete